The sun can be used to generate electricity using solar panels. Did you know you can also use it to toast marshmallows?
Don’t turn your oven on… save some energy by making your very own solar oven from a pizza box! The design creates a conduction oven so you can toast marshmallows or even bake cookies.
What you’ll need:
- A sunny day and some marshmallows
- A pizza box
- Scissors, tape, and a ruler
- Black construction paper
- Plastic wrap and aluminum foil
- Draw an 8.5 by 11 inch rectangle inside the lid of the pizza box.
- Cut out the three sides of your rectangle along the three sides of the box that open. Fold the flap up along the uncut edge.
- Cover the inside of the flap with foil, taping the edges.
- Line the inside bottom of the box with black construction paper.
- Use rolled up newspaper around the inside edges of the box to create insulation.
- Tape a piece of plastic wrap to the lid inside the box, covering the hole you cut out. Tape it all the way around securely.
- Put some marshmallows inside on the black paper and close the lid.
- Prop the box at an angle facing the sun—you may need to use your ruler or a pencil to prop your flap open, too. You want to make sure the sun is hitting your marshmallows at a good angle.
- Toast and enjoy!