We’re Havin’ a Heat Wave
Communities across Oregon are welcoming a heat wave this week – whether we want to or not! Beat the heat this summer with these energy-saving tips:
- Keep your windows, blinds, and drapes closed during the day to keep heat out of your home. Consider adding exterior awnings to add extra shade on your windows.
- At night, open your windows to let the cooler air inside. Open windows on opposite sides of your home to create a cross-breeze.
- Replace old incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Not only do LEDs use less energy, they also produce far less heat.
- Hire a professional to give your air conditioning equipment a tune-up each year. Clean or replace filters every month.
- Weatherizing your home isn’t just for winter months. Quality insulation, sealed ductwork, and window caulking can help keep cool air in – and hot air out!
- Install a programmable thermostat so you can set your A/C to kick in when you’re scheduled to be at home – no need to waste energy on an empty house.
- Avoid turning on your stove or oven. It’s a great excuse to try that new neighborhood restaurant or do some home grilling outside. Just be sure to drink plenty of water to stay cool!
Certain energy efficient improvements could qualify for an Oregon Department of Energy incentive – visit our website to learn more: http://www.oregon.gov/energy/At-Home/Pages/default.aspx