Saving Energy One Ride at a Time
Every May, ODOE joins hundreds of organizations across the state in the annual Bike More Challenge. With a combination of friendly competition and cool prizes, the Bike More Challenge encourages participants to rack up as many miles via bike as possible during the month of May. Participants earn points for riding their bikes, logging their miles, and encouraging their friends, family, and colleagues to join the movement.
Aside from the thrill of the competition and fun prizes, participants and bystanders alike cash in on the many positive effects biking has on the environment, individual and public health, traffic, local economies, and more. When more people choose to bike instead of drive, everyone wins!
· Commuting via bike saves energy and cuts down on greenhouse gas emissions and other pollutants.
· Cycling is a great workout and can improve your heart, brain, and lung functions.
· When you use a bike for transportation you’re more likely to spend money at local small businesses.
· Bikes use less energy and fewer natural resources to build and maintain than cars.
· More bikes and less cars on the road result in less traffic and more efficient commutes.
ODOE employees have logged over 450 miles on their bikes so far, and they’re just getting started. Staffers have been using bikes to commute to and from work, get to off-site meetings, and for fun and fitness outside of work. Want to get in on the fun? Register today: www.lovetoride.net/oregon.
If biking isn’t your thing, you can still do your part by encouraging friends and family members to bike more, and help participants stay safe on their rides by remembering to share the road.
PRO TIP: Did you know businesses in Portland can get a free bike rack installed on the sidewalk in front of their building? It’s true! See if your location meets the City of Portland’s minimum requirements and fill out an application online.